Indonesian LUPIS Sweet Rice Cake with Coconut Sugar Nectar Recipe
Lupis (Glutinous Rice Cake) is an Indonesian traditional sweet rice cake that is wrapped in banana leaves. It is coated with delightful coconut sugar nectar syrup and grated coconut. People usually eat this delectable Lupis at breakfast or as a side dish during the evening. The tasty sticky Lupis met with soft sweet melted coconut sugar nectar is so tempting. Once you taste it, you can’t stop eating it.
You can easily find it at traditional markets. There are not many ingredients involved in the making. It is made from sticky glutinous rice that is wrapped and boiled in aromatic banana & pandan leaves, it is then coated in Realsa coconut sugar and grated coconut. What a simple pleasure of life!
250 gr of glutinous rice without soaking
15 gr Salt
2 Pandan leaves
Grated coconut that has been given salt and steamed for 15 minutes
4 -5 Banana leaves
Realsa Coconut Sugar Nectar Syrup
1. Wash the glutinous rice then drain it.
2. For the Lupis dough, prepare banana leaves and cut them into 8 cm in size. Fold until a lontong (looks like a tunnel) is formed. Fold and close the corner of the lontong form leaf, and seal it with a toothpick. Add 1.5 tablespoons (30gr) of glutinous rice, then press and compact the glutinous rice. Fold and close the rest of the lontong leaf, and seal it with the toothpicks again.
3. Prepare a big pan/pot and water.
4. Boil the water, pandan leaves, and salt in the big pan/pot. Place the Lupis dough into the pan/pot for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and wait 30 minutes.
5. After that, remove and set aside. Remove the banana leaves from the Lupis. Cut it into some slices and place it on a plate.
6. Coat it well with grated coconut. Then, Drizzle Realsa Coconut Sugar Nectar Syrup over it and serve.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Lupis with Coconut Sugar Nectar!